This Gluten-Free Vegan Meatloaf is truly a DELIGHT! It is easy to make, packed with flavor, and rich in protein and fiber for a most delicious, healthy holiday meal or entree any time of year! Top it off with my Vegan Cashew Gravy and you will be in food bliss in no time!
I genuinely could not wait to share this recipe with you guys! This Vegan Meatloaf is truly SUPER tasty, filling and a JOY to make. If you’re in need of a hearty protein-rich meal or looking to wow your guests during Thanksgiving or Christmas, this is the ticket!
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Meatloaf
- Hearty and filling.
- Super rich and flavorful.
- No onions or breadcrumbs necessary.
Easy to make.
- This is one of those dishes that is great served right away or meal prepped as leftovers.
- Rich in protein and fiber.
- Can be served as a vegan or vegetarian main dish or side.
- Packed with wholesome, healthy ingredients.
- Gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, dairy-free, vegetarian, egg-free, soy-free, and sugar-free.
- Black beans, and chickpeas: this adds a great hearty protein-packed component.
- Rice: brown rice works as a binder and has a great texture.
- Garlic, and bell pepper: flavor additions.
- Sage, thyme, salt, and pepper: more great taste modifiers.
- Walnuts: adds protein and texture.
- Nutritional yeast: adds a great umami flavor note.
- Ground flaxseed: flax is a fabulous substitute for eggs in meatloaf recipes.
- Dijon mustard, sriracha (or ketchup): more flavor! We prefer the touch of sriracha over ketchup and it’s also a great choice if you are on a tomato diet. However, you can certainly use ketchup instead!
- A side of my Vegan Gravy: optional, but certainly takes it to a whole other level!
Note: please refer to the recipe card towards the bottom of this post for the full measurements, ingredients, and method.
How to Make Vegan Meatloaf – Step by Step
1. Saute bell pepper and garlic.
2. Combine beans, chickpeas, walnuts, and rice in a food processor or blender.
3. Pulse until coarsely combined.
4. Add sauteed bell pepper and garlic.
5. Blend until mostly smooth.
6. In a bowl combine the blended mixture with the remaining ingredients.
7. Mix until smooth.
8. Place a strip of parchment paper in a greased loaf pan.
9. Pour the meatloaf batter into the pan. Pat the top of the loaf down with wet hands.
10. Place the meatloaf into the oven. Meanwhile, prepare the Cashew Gravy (if using).
11. Remove the vegan meatloaf from the oven.
12. Cover with foil and let sit for 15 minutes.
13. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Chickpeas and Black Beans
I do think that any combo of beans, lentils, pulses, or split peas would work well to replace the chickpeas and/or black beans if so desired.
On a nut-free diet or simply do not care for them? The walnuts in this recipe can be replaced with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or pecans for a still-tasty loaf!
The rice in this recipe can be replaced with quinoa or millet.
Not a fan of nutritional yeast? You can simply omit in this recipe if you prefer.
The ground flaxseed in this recipe adds additional nutrition and binding power, but can be replaced with an egg (if not vegan), ground chia seeds, or psyllium husk powder.
This is my secret ingredient! When paired with mustard it lends an out-of-this-world rich flavor. BUT, if you are not a fan or do not care for ever so slight a hint of spiciness, then replace the sriracha with ketchup for a still-tasty vegan meatloaf recipe!
Can You Freeze Vegan Meatloaf?
Yes! Store cooked meatloaf in freezer-safe containers for up to 6 months. Thaw, then re-heat in a 375 F oven until warmed throughout.
Can You Make This Vegan Meatloaf Ahead of Time?
Yes! We often make a loaf and have it sit out to eat throughout the day. Amazingly, it tastes just as good at room temperature as it does straight out of the oven, making it a great recipe to make for holiday gatherings and the like.
What Should You Serve with Vegan Meatloaf?
- My Vegan Gravy makes an excellent topping for this meatloaf.
- Stewed potatoes.
- Vegan coleslaw.
- Vegan mashed potatoes.
- Stovetop asparagus with balsamic vinegar.
- Purple sweet potatoes.
- Sauerkraut .
Air Fryer Green Beans.
You Might Also Like These Recipes
What To Serve With Mashed Potatoes Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 10 ounces cooked black beans rinsed and drained (approx. 1 cup)
- 10 ounces cooked chickpeas rinsed and drained (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce or ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- 1 batch of Vegan White Gravy
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a skillet over medium heat add oil, garlic and bell pepper. Saute for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender combine chickpeas, black beans, walnuts and rice. Pulse until coarsely combined.
- Add sauteed pepper and garlic to food processor or blender with previous ingredients. Blend until mostly smooth (it’s okay if there are a few chuncks of beans or nuts).
- Pour batter into a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Place a thin strip of parchment paper into a greased loaf pan (see photos above in post).
- Pour vegan meatloaf batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Using wet hands, press and pat the batter into an even layer in the pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until all is firm, browning and has a nice crust on top.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and cover with aluminum foil. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the pan by lifting the ends of the parchment paper strip and placing the loaf gently on a serving platter or plate.
- Slice, and serve with Vegan Cashew Gravy.
Please refer to the post above for valuable information.
You might like our Vegan Sausage Recipe!
SERVING: 1slice | CALORIES: 305kcal | CARBOHYDRATES: 37g | PROTEIN: 11g | FAT: 14g | SATURATED FAT: 1g | SODIUM: 521mg | POTASSIUM: 410mg | FIBER: 8g | SUGAR: 1g | VITAMIN A: 478IU | VITAMIN C: 23mg | CALCIUM: 58mg | IRON: 3mg
This post was previously published on MOONANDSPOONANDYUM.COM and is republished with permission.
You might also like these from The Good Men Project:
|.. In Modern Relationships, We Cheat Every Single Day||Compliments Men Would Love to Hear More Often||.10 Things Good Men Should Never Do in a Relationship||It’s Not Just Sex That He is Longing For. It’s This|
Join The Good Men Project as a Premium Member today.
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
A $50 annual membership gives you an all access pass. You can be a part of every call, group, class and community.
A $25 annual membership gives you access to one class, one Social Interest group and our online communities.
A $12 annual membership gives you access to our Friday calls with the publisher, our online community.
Register New Account
Log in if you wish to renew an existing subscription.
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.
Photo credit: Author
The post Easy Vegan Meatloaf (Gluten-free) appeared first on The Good Men Project.