Planning hostess gift ideas that are homemade is less expensive than buying from overpriced shops.
Although we support local small businesses, it’s a struggle for some Canadians who cannot afford to buy from them.
Make The Most Of Saving Money For Hostess Gifts
Times are tough, and Canadians are scrambling for money and barely scraping by, which is heart-wrenching.
Yesterday while shopping at the mall, Mrs. CBB started talking about hostess gift ideas for Christmas.
We almost got suckered into buying from the mall, but we held back because we had a Christmas budget.
Keeping costs low was the game’s name as it is every year but even more so this year.
Today, we’ll talk more about hostess gift ideas for Christmas and tell you what we plan to do.
What Are Christmas Hostess Gift Ideas?
When you visit someone for the holidays, always show your gratitude to the host or hostess.
In Mrs. CBB’s culture, you bring something when you visit someone’s house, whether for a visit or to celebrate Christmas.
I found that interesting and wanted to learn more about hostess gift ideas we could make or buy for the holidays.
Family History of Hostess Gift Ideas
In the UK, mum would mostly bake a Christmas cake, VIctoria cake, and cream custard jars, at least at our house.
We didn’t have people who would visit us for Christmas, so there was no need for hostess gifts to be made.
My relatives are based worldwide, so we don’t get to see them as often as we’d like.
Thank goodness for Skype.
Christmas Hostess Gifts At Mrs. CBB’s House
On Mrs. CBB’s family side, it’s different because people come and go throughout the season.
Whether her parents were visiting their friends in the neighbourhood or those they knew very well.
I remember being at Mrs. CBB’s house for Christmas, and there was a plate of different cookies.
They all looked delicious, yet Mrs. CBB’s mother did not make them, so she asked where they came from.
She chuckled and said that one of your father’s friends came around to give us a hostess gift for Christmas.
Although she wasn’t hosting them at the house for Christmas, she did so many times.
Hanging Out With Friends During The Holidays
Whenever Mrs. CBB’s father had friends over, her mom would always cook food for them as they hung out on the deck.
Often you’d see them in the garage sitting on old chairs, having a laugh and drinking wine.
As you can tell, Mrs. CBB’s father loved to have friends around the house or visit their homes.
When he would come back, he’d go home with a homemade bottle of wine, cakes, and pastries.
There was always that feel-good inside part of knowing someone cared enough to bring you a gift.
Homemade Hostess Gift Ideas
Both Mrs. CBB and I agreed that we would bake our traditional Christmas cookies this year.
The Dollar Store has beautiful Christmas tins and boxes that you can buy to set your cookies in.
I think the experience of handing over a plate of cookies looks far prettier in a decorated can.
Our next-door neighbour is a cupcake baker, and she told us they are great hostess gift ideas.
We won’t be bringing them and cookies or cakes, haha.
- Baked Goods such as snowballs, peanut butter balls, shortbread cookies, coconut balls, keto cranberry custard bars, thumbprint cookies, Anginetti Italian cookies, Zeppole.
- There are unlimited Christmas recipes on Pinterest to go through or you can read The Top 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for the holiday baker. One of my favourites is homemade Christmas pudding.
- Homemade Wine or beer is fantastic if your host or hostess drinks it. We don’t make it but have received Saki from our neighbour 12 years ago. I’m not even sure if we can drink it. If you know that your host drinks wine or beer this is a great option but if they don’t, find something new.
- Jams or a nice orange marmlade that you’ve made
- Basket with chocolates, fruits, homemade jars of jam. Also consider, Millionaire shortbread cookies and cucumber relish.
- Homemade almond chocolate bars wrapped with a bow
- Spice rub or what we make is homemade taco seasonings in mini mason jars
- Keto Everything But The Bagel Seasoning In A Jar
- Gourmet Keto Bagels or Regular Gourmet Bagel (don’t forget to add a tub of cream cheese)
- Homemade Vanilla Extract (I’m going to try this one)
- Bag of chestnuts to roast on an open fire
- Jars of homemade pickled beets. I made extras to give away for the holidays.
- Homemade Mixed Nuts Tray with peanuts, brazil nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, pecans, walnuts etc. Look at the Dollar Store for a round tray that has seperated sections. The cheapest place to buy nuts and dried fruits is Costco Canada.
- Box of clementines is a fantastic hostess gift for Christmas
I hope you might enjoy just a few homemade hostess gift ideas for Christmas.
Wait To Visit Until Boxing Day
If you don’t have the time to do any of the above, wait until Boxing Day.
Typically the prices on Boxing Day are a steal which means you can save some money.
You’ll find boxes of chocolates, cookies, wrapping paper and Holiday Gift Baskets deeply discounted.
I bet some of you only shop on Boxing Day for Christmas and celebrate Christmas late.
Merry Christmas And Happy Holidays
Since I have lots of catching up around the house, this may be the last Saturday Review of the year.
I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for supporting CBB.
If you have any ideas about what you’d like to see in the Saturday Weekend Review, please email me.
I’m hoping to continue this post in 2022, but it may be once a month and be the newsletter.
I’ve been getting very overwhelmed lately, but maybe it will go away after eating at Christmas.
Sometimes the brain needs a break to step back and begin working on new plans.
Take good care, everyone,
Mr. and Mrs. CBB.
My Thoughts Corner
Right now, you may not be in a position where you’d like to be. We’ve all been there at some time in our lives.
If you want something wrong enough, get it is a quote that has always stuck in my head.
Here I am, living in Canada, excellent job, debt-free, and we both started with little savings in the bank.
Set some small goals for 2022 and work on them one by one and keep moving up.
Never think you aren’t good enough because you are. Use resources that are available to you for free.
Your life means something, and there’s a reason you are here; now find it.
CBB Posts Of The Week
- How To Shop Small This Christmas -plus our November Budget Update
- Welcome Gifts For Your New Neighbours
- Grandmas Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 10 Easy Christmas Cookie Recipes
- How We Save Money For After Christmas Sales
- Easy Roasted Chicken and Leek Soup
- 8 Tasks To Work On Your 2022 Budget
CBB Google Searcg Words
- Sniff Before Buying – Although this tactic could be used two years ago it might be a struggle with a mask on. Besides that people migh look at you strange.
- Cheap Christmas Cookies – Well, you’ve come to the right place. See my Free Recipe Index
- Average Christmas Bonus In Canada? – Haha Probably a box of TImBiebs
- Cheapest Way To Buy Meat – Shoot it, Skin it, Butcher it and clean it.
- Free Christmas Gifts – This one came up in all variations which saddens me. Please consider dropping off a gift or clothing to local charities.
That’s all for this Saturday, CBB Friends.
Subscribe To Get The CBB Newsletter
To receive my newsletter via email, you must subscribe to the blog and verify your subscription.
The post Simple Hostess Gift Ideas For Christmas: The Saturday Weekend Review #340 appeared first on Canadian Budget Binder.