Dezeen Showroom: a stool made from wood sourced through sustainable forestry and a 3D-printed chair made from recycled fishing nets are among the latest furniture designs on Dezeen Showroom that use sustainable materials.
Designers and brands are continually improving the sustainability of their designs in an attempt to lessen the negative impact on the environment, from the production and manufacturing stages to the longevity and lifecycle of the final product.
Included in this selection are products designed to follow circular economy principles, where parts can be replaced, repaired and recycled to increase the lifespan of the materials.
Also featured are furniture pieces made from recycled materials, including PET plastic bottles, cardboard and coffee waste.
From tables made from washed up sea plants to chairs with castor oil-based bioplastic seats, here's a selection of the latest furniture designs made from sustainable materials on Dezeen Showroom.
The materials are forested in Germany and Austria at a rate that maintains the environment's biodiversity and productivity, then handcrafted into Fels stools in Germany.
Available in a natural wood finish or in a range of bright colours, Fels has a jagged profile designed to give the appearance of carved stone.
The fishing nets are combined with recycled FSC-certified wood fibres to create the furniture's bio-composite material, which is 3D printed to create the chair's curving form.
Interesting Times Gang designed the chair to bring awareness to the eradication of kelp forests due to unsustainable fishing practices and rising sea temperatures.
Around 80 per cent of the chair's material is polypropylene plastic recycled from the agricultural food sector, while the remaining 20 per cent is recycled fibreglass which increases its strength.
The material is made from 100 per cent recycled materials sourced from 3form's in-house factory waste. The terrazzo look comes from pelletised trimmings of the brand's resin products.
Available in a range of translucent colours, Flek Pure can be used to produce privacy partitions, room dividers, accent pieces and exterior walls.
Mater developed the composite material with the aim of progressing their existing furniture collection from being sustainable to circular.
Bowl is available in two versions – one made from coffee shell waste and the other from sawdust. Plastic waste from bathroom fittings brand Grohe is recycled and acts as a binder.
The booth's structure is made from recycled cardboard and pressed sawdust. Recycled PET bottles are used to create the acoustic cladding and the felt-like interior finish.
The kitchen is made from replaceable birch plywood parts with optional Forbo linoleum fronts available in over 20 colours.
Users can replace parts of the kitchen as they get worn, broken or if they would like a new colour. Stykka then reuses or recycles the used parts.
Instead of the traditional use of cane, Dina's woven seat and backrest are made from durable castor oil-based bioplastic.
By upcycling Posidonia Oceanica leaves that are washed up on the shore into tabletops, Alex Mint aimed to create a more eco-friendly furniture piece.
The chair is available in three finishes of oak and can be optionally upholstered in a choice of eco-labelled textiles.
Dezeen Showroom offers an affordable space for brands to launch new products and showcase their designers and projects to Dezeen's huge global audience. For more details email email@example.com.
Dezeen Showroom is an example of partnership content on Dezeen. Find out more about partnership content here.
The post Ten furniture designs made from sustainable materials appeared first on Dezeen.