Bring your banana bread to the next level with a decadent swirl of chocolate! This marbled chocolate banana bread is soft, moist, perfectly sweet, and easy to make. Plus, it’s vegan and free of both dairy and eggs.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ripe bananas: The riper the bananas, the sweeter the pancakes, and the better the banana flavor. We wait until our bananas are spotty for this. If your bananas are not spotty, that is fine if they are not green/too tough to open.
- Sugar: We have tested this recipe with both granulated sugar, brown sugar, and coconut sugar, and all worked well. We used 3/4 cup sugar for the banana bread because we like it on the less sweet side, but if you want it to be sweeter, you can add 1/4 cup of additional sugar.
- Melted coconut oil: Melted butter should work in place of coconut oil if you do not have it. We have not tested it but based on our experience; it should work fine!
- Apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice): As an acid, the vinegar reacts with the baking soda to lift the batter as it bakes.
- Warm plant-based milk: We used almond milk, but you can use any unsweetened plant-based milk. Learn how to make almond milk here.
- Vanilla extract: Adds an excellent depth of flavor to our loaf.
- Flaxseed meal (or chia seeds): Makes for the perfect binder and egg substitute.
- Unbleached all-purpose flour: We use all-purpose flour for this recipe. We haven’t tested this recipe with gluten-free or whole wheat flour.
- Baking powder and baking soda: Chemical leavening agents that cause batters to rise when baked. Be sure not to mix up the two!
- Salt: Not only does salt add flavor, but it also tightens the gluten strands that are formed, making them stronger.
- Vegan dark chocolate: You can use dark chocolate chips or chop up your favorite chocolate bar
- Optional Add-Ins: Take this bread to the next level by adding nuts such as walnuts, pecans, and/or dairy-free chocolate chips!
How To Perfectly Marble Your Bread
How To Serve This Marbled Banana Bread
It’s good enough to slice and eat as is! But if you want to take it to the next level, here are a few of our favorite toppings.
- Slather it with your favorite but or seed butter (we prefer peanut butter)
- Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- Top with fresh fruit, such as berries or sliced bananas
- Top it with dried fruit, such as raisins
- 8×4-inch loaf pan
- Parchment paper and/or cooking spray
- Fork or potato masher, to mash the bananas
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium microwave-safe bowl
Other Recipes You Might Like
- One-Bowl Banana Bread
- Ube Pandesal (Filipino Purple Yam Bread Rolls)
- Fluffy Banana Pancakes
- Banana Cue (Filipino Fried Caramelized Bananas)
- Pumpkin Bread
- Gingerbread Loaf Cake
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!