23A. *Pro in a ring: PRIZE FIGHTER. Grand prize.
36A. *Challenge for a hopeful collegian: ENTRANCE EXAM. Grand entrance.
55A *Multi-faceted stage performance: SLAM POETRY. Grand slam.
77A. *Military stint: TOUR OF DUTY. Grand tour.
94A. *Act of genius: MASTER STROKE. Grandmaster.
16D. *1977 Eagles hit: HOTEL CALIFORNIA. Grand Hotel.
44D. *Liszt list, e.g.: PIANO REPERTOIRE. Grand piano.
111. Ribbon-cutting event, or what the starts of the answers to starred clues can have: GRAND OPENING.
We have not seen "words that can precede/follow" Sunday theme type for a while. Rich normally saves the type for weekdays.
Such a clever title.
1. Graf with 22 Grand Slam singles titles: STEFFI.
7. Epcot's Spaceship Earth, e.g.: GLOBE.
12. Sacha Baron Cohen alter ego: ALI G.
16. Part of HMS: HER.
19. Soup dish: TUREEN. This looks quite delicate.
20. Like many feedbag cereals: OATEN.
21. NFL analyst Tony: ROMO.
22. Big name in kitchen gadgets: OXO. D-Otto's brand.
25. Helped throw a party: CO-HOSTED.
27. Boxers' org.?: AKC. Great clue. We also have 29. Boxer's wound: GASH.
28. Birth day ordeal: LABOR.
31. Clock watchers: IDLERS.
32. Bygone Russian ruler: TSARINA.
34. Sonic the Hedgehog creator: SEGA.
35. Math class for coll. credit: AP CALC.
40. Footnote abbr.: OP CIT.
42. Removes fasteners from: UNPEGS.
45. Hand-rubbing chuckle: HEH.
46. Trawler's catch: SHRIMP. Most of the shrimp we eat are probably from some farms.
48. Firewood option: ASH.
49. Title for Marian: MAID. Maid Marian. Robin Hood.
50. Reacts with obvious pleasure: BEAMS.
52. Comply with: OBEY.
53. Pet peeve?: FLEA. And 54. Cap-and-crown org.?: ADA. 105. Winter coat?: SNOW.
58. Believer: THEIST.
60. Least amt.: MIN.
61. Reasons against: CONS.
62. Lands' End department: MEN'S.
63. Barrier __: REEF.
64. Historic toolmaking period: IRON AGE.
66. Practices, as a trade: PLIES.
68. Eyes and ears: SENSORS.
71. Chocolate-caramel candy brand: ROLO.
72. Industrial arts class, informally: SHOP.
73. Actor Cumming of "The Good Wife": ALAN.
74. River inlet: RIA.
75. International economic coalition: G SEVEN.
80. One of the Bobbsey twins: NAN.
81. Valley with cellars and sellers: NAPA. Extra homophone touch.
82. On the fence: TORN.
84. Loathing: ODIUM.
85. "__ Misbehavin'": Fats Waller song: AIN'T.
86. Suffix with glob: ULE.
87. Ingratiates oneself (to), with "up": COZIES.
89. The NBA's Magic: ORL.
90. Leave the larval stage: PUPATE. Not a word I use.
92. __-Croatian language: SERBO.
97. Plant-based sugar substitute: STEVIA. Boomer uses it occasionally.
99. Charged atoms: IONS.
100. Earliest work in a musical chronology: OPUS ONE.
104. One making amends: ATONER.
106. Afghan capital: KABUL.
108. Initialism for some time away from work: LOA. OK, Leave of Absence. Give [Hawaii's Mauna ___] a rest.
109. Met a monthly obligation: PAID RENT.
114. Canon initials: SLR.
115. Singer from County Donegal: ENYA.
116. Like many roofs: EAVED.
117. Parking garage designation: A LEVEL.
118. Just make, with "out": EKE.
119. Insect repellent: DEET.
120. Gushes: SPEWS.
121. Forensic competition: DEBATE. I'm not familiar with this meaning of "forensics".
1. Mar. 17 figure: ST PAT.
2. Ankara natives: TURKS. 4. Topper for 2-Down: FEZ.
3. "Fear of Flying" author Jong: ERICA.
5. Premonition: FEELING.
6. Hospital deliveries: INFANTS.
7. Disco era word: GO GO.
8. Lion player Bert: LAHR. Never saw "The Wizard of Oz" until I came to the US. We had our first TV in late 1980s. By then, Hong Kong movies were all the rage.
9. 5'9" Giant Mel: OTT.
10. Disco band brother: BEE GEE.
11. Makes hopping mad: ENRAGES.
12. Foot part: ARCH.
13. Bath bathroom: LOO.
14. "Gotcha, man": I'M HIP.
15. Perp's pretend friend, in interrogation: GOOD COP. Looks like our state might change our flag also.
17. Works out: EXERCISES.
18. Reel holders: RODS.
24. Letter-shaped girder: I BAR.
26. Hand-to-hand sound: SLAP.
30. Brass band members: SAXHORNS.
33. Marsh plant: REED.
34. Bonehead: SCHMO.
35. Yves' squeeze: AMIE.
37. Interruption lead-ins: AHEMS.
38. Tide type: NEAP.
39. "We Have the Meats" sandwich chain: ARBY'S.
41. This, when over there: THAT.
42. Fish sauce taste: UMAMI. Important ingredient in kimchi sauce.
43. Low point: NADIR.
47. "I'm buying": MY TREAT.
50. Downfall: BANE.
51. Part-time player: SEMI-PRO.
53. Bank add-ons: FEES.
55. What weight watchers watch: SCALE.
56. Access, as a site: LOG ONTO. And 66. Calls work from home: PHONES IN.
57. Drive origination point: TEE.
59. __ Penny: folk tale name: HENNY.
65. Smoked salmon: NOVA.
67. Grant on old TV: LOU.
68. Blighted area: SLUM.
69. Mirthful: RIANT. Not a word I use.
70. "À votre __!": SANTE.
72. Stretch mark, say: STRIA.
73. Grownup: ADULT.
75. Safari sights: GNUS.
76. Pitch from a rep: SALES TALK.
78. Lysol targets: ODORS.
79. Stands in the forest, perhaps: FIRS.
83. Baum princess: OZMA.
85. A group of them may be called a shrewdness: APES. Such a long word for "group".
87. Dealt with: COVERED.
88. Memorable pie throwers: STOOGES.
90. Window one would rather keep closed: POP-UP AD.
91. Tiny Tim's strings: UKULELE.
93. Oregon golfing mecca: BEND.
95. Swathe: ENWRAP.
96. Automaton prefix: ROBO.
98. Sherlock's foe Adler: IRENE.
101. Three-time A.L. batting champ Tony: OLIVA. Still waiting for him to get into the Hall of Fame.
|C.C. & Tony Oliva, 9/15/2011|
102. Nine-piece combo: NONET.
103. Sharp-eyed bird: EAGLE.
104. Cathedral recess: APSE.
105. ER directive: STAT.
106. Had already learned: KNEW.
107. Supplements, with "to": ADDS.
110. Emmy-winning scientist: NYE.
112. Melrose in L.A., say: AVE.
113. Lincoln's st.: NEB. Here there, Gary, Avg. Joe and Brad!